In case you missed yesterday’s Webcast Audio Seminar (WAS) Session, here are the highlights of this session:
The Future of Family Medicine – In China
Presenter: William J. Burke, D.O., FACOFP
September 14, 12 PM EST
- Discuss the background leading to an emphasis on the development of primary care.
- Share the International Primary Care Educational Alliance (IPCEA) journey in China
- Discuss Healthy China 2020/2030
The purpose of IPCEA is to advance the recognition and development of primary care medicine as the foundation required to provide timely and appropriate access to quality, cost-effective, humanitarian health care for all people of the world.
Physician Training Today in China
- Complete K -12 in High School
- Matriculate into Medical School right after High School
- Complete residency of 5, 7 or 8 years
- Bachelor’s Degree after 5 years
- Master’s Degree after 7 years
- D. after 8 years
- Both 7 and 8-year degree involve research
- All degrees include a 1 year Clinical year similar to our 3rd year clerkship year
Dilemma in China
- Lack of Insurance Coverage
- Rising Cost of Healthcare
- Lack of Confidence in Community Clinics and Small Hospitals
- New Government Focus
- Make people-centered health care a priority
- Increased Tax Base
- Increased Government Funding for Universal Basic Healthcare
- Decision to turn to Primary Care and the Partnership with IPCEA
- Goal to have 300,000 new and re-trained Family Medicine Doctors by 2020.
- Increase the number of Community Health Centers and Community Health Stations.
For more information on the next session or to register, please click here.