The IAMSE Manuals Editorial Board is seeking proposals for contributions to the IAMSE Manuals book series to be published in 2024.
The IAMSE Manuals series was established to disseminate current developments and best evidence-based practices in healthcare education, offering those who teach in healthcare the most current information to succeed in their educational roles. The Manuals offer practical “how-to-guides” on a variety of topics relevant to teaching and learning in the healthcare profession. The aim is to improve the quality of educational activities that include, but are not limited to: teaching, assessment, mentoring, advising, coaching, curriculum development, leadership and administration, and scholarship in healthcare education, and to promote greater interest in health professions education. They are compact volumes of 50 to 175 pages that address any number of practical challenges or opportunities facing medical educators. The manuals are published by Springer; online versions are offered to IAMSE members at a reduced price.
We welcome proposal submissions on topics relevant to IAMSE’s mission and encourage multi-institutional, international, and interprofessional contributions. Topics for the manuals may vary widely, including but not limited to the following:
- Program Evaluation
- CQI in Medical Education
- Educational Models and Conceptual Frameworks
- Teaching using Learning Strategies
- Approaches to Integration
- Educational Technology
The essential factors to consider in submitting a proposal are the proposed topic:
- informs medical education practice;
- provides practical instructions and tips to the reader;
- excites interest in the medical education community;
- demonstrates careful attention to sound research and theory.
We welcome proposals from medical educators, theorists, researchers, and administrators. The entire proposal should not exceed 2,500 words. The following criteria will be used to evaluate proposal submissions:
- The objectives should emphasize specific instructional practices that readers can implement in their instructional settings.
- Description of the proposed manual
- The description should clearly explain the primary topic of the manual, how—and to what extent—the topic is covered in existing publications, and how the proposed manual addresses gaps in the extant literature.
- Manual title in conjunction with an expanded table of contents (TOC)
- The expanded TOC should identify the major topics to be covered in each chapter, with short (two- to three-sentence) descriptions of what will be included in each chapter
- Description of the target audience.
- The description should include the anticipated size of the readership (i.e., the size of the market).
- A statement of general interest that addresses the expertise, skills, and attributes of the authors that contribute to the topic. (no longer than 1-2 pages in length)
- Listing of authors. Include brief biographical sketches (no longer than 1-2 pages in length).
The submission deadline has been extended to October 15, 2022.
Each proposal will be evaluated by the IAMSE Manuals Editorial Board using the criteria specified above. The Editorial Board will then discuss the proposals and select 2-to-3 for publication. Selections will be based on how well the proposals match the above criteria. We expect publication decisions to be made by December 2022. We anticipate that selected manuals will be published during the second half of 2024.
Both IAMSE members and non-members are eligible to submit a proposal. IAMSE is a diverse community and strives to reflect that diversity in the composition of its authors. The Editorial Board welcomes applications from members of different countries, various health professions backgrounds, and members of minority groups.
If you have any questions about submission or the Manuals series please reach out to email@example.com.
We look forward to your submissions.