Continuing with our exploration of how basic science education can be leveraged for student success, this sequel to our Winter series will expand upon the traditional roles of basic sciences and venture into unexplored areas. What is the role of basic science education in (1) interprofessional training, (2) social sciences curricula, (3) service-learning, (4) pre-clerkship integration, (5) and self-directed learning? These domains are cornerstones of medical education and closely align with accreditation elements for the LCME, COCA, and other accreditation bodies within the health professions. To familiarize basic science educators with these five domains of medical education, leading experts will present on each during this five-part webinar series titled:
To Infinity and Beyond:
Expanding the Scope of Basic Sciences in
Meeting Accreditation Standards
The speakers will provide the audience with an overview and discuss current topics and issues relevant to each domain as well as outline opportunities for basic science educators to become involved. This series will build a framework through which basic scientists can leverage their content to meet a variety of accreditation standards. At the end of the series, the audience will be better prepared to contribute and advance these domains so crucial to the formation of successful clinicians.
Sessions in the Spring 2022 series include:
- March 3 at 12PM EST – Brian Mann (Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine) presents Interprofessional Training
- March 10 at 12PM EST – Timothy Lahey (University of Vermont) presents The Construction of a Social Medicine Curriculum at the University of Vermont
- March 17 at 12PM EST – Peter Vollbrecht (Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine) presents Designing Outreach and Service Learning Programs to Effectively Meet the Needs of the Community, Faculty, and Medical Students
- March 24 at 12PM EST – Stephanie Meeuwissen and Mirjam Oude Egbrink (Maastricht University) present Towards Integrated Medical Education: Getting the best out of interdisciplinary teacher teams and leaders
- March 31 at 12PM EST – Samara Ginzburg and Joanne Willey present Strategies for Incorporating Self-Directed Learning into Basic Sciences Education
As always, IAMSE Student Members can register for the series for FREE!
To learn more about student registration, email us at email@example.com.