Membership in IAMSE provides professional advancement opportunities to network with colleagues at other medical facilities, establish collaboration and exchange programs, publish in the Association journal, conduct and/or attend courses and workshops on educational methods, present projects from your school, and develop the credentials of a truly effective medical educator.
Information on medical education
- Monthly e-mail digest of important current happenings in medical education that impact on medical science educators
- E-mail announcements of professional development opportunities in medical science education
- Mailings of IAMSE meetings and conference announcements, brochures, calls for abstracts, plus announcements of Association Meeting and Conference Proceedings availability
- Access to all current and past Association Meeting and Conference Proceedings featuring 90-minute audio recordings of invited speaker plenary sessions. All breakout group summaries, slides, handouts, etc
- Access to Medical Science Educator (Med Sci Educ). Written specifically for medical science educators by medical science educators, this electronic peer-reviewed journal features first released articles describing original research, current trends in basic medical science education, reports, critiques, and commentaries on innovative teaching methods, debuts of educational software, and candid editorials.
- 15% discount on registration for IAMSE Annual Association Meetings. Charter Members who continue without lapse of membership receive a 20% discount
- Advance notice, priority registration at a discounted rate, to all IAMSE Webcast Audio Seminars
- Option for discounted membership rate in the Association for Medical Education Europe (AMEE).
- Joint Membership opportunities with the Team Based Learning Collaborative (TBLC)
- Joint membership opportunities with the Netherlands Association for Medical Education (NVMO)
To be active within the organization
- Ability to serve on IAMSE Standing Committees and other appointed Task Forces
- Full voting rights for selection of candidates to the Board of Directors who determine the course of IAMSE
- Access to the online Directory of Colleagues, containing members’ names, disciplines, mailing address, phone, fax, e-mail address
- Access to experts in a variety of fields
- Access to current Positions Available postings
If you are a basic scientist who has a passion for teaching health professionals, joining and participating in IAMSE will be of tremendous benefit to you. IAMSE offers a myriad of opportunities for you to enrich, enhance, and develop your career as a medical educator.
- Engagement: IAMSE provides the opportunity to network with a diverse and international group of scientists, clinicians, and administrators who have a passion for teaching learners in the health sciences. These interactions often develop into exciting professional collaborations, career opportunities, mentoring relationships, and lifelong friendships.
- Career Enhancement and Development: The annual meeting, web seminars, and special fellowship programs of IAMSE provide opportunities to learn cutting edge concepts from internationally recognized educational experts. Participation will help you develop the skills necessary to become an outstanding medical educator and a curricular leader.
- Recognition: The annual meeting and the IAMSE journal, Medical Science Educator, provide respected, peer reviewed venues to present educational scholarship to an international audience.
- Empowerment: IAMSE provides a strong sense of community that empowers and encourages you to become the best educator that you can be.
There are many ways that Clinicians can benefit from becoming involved with IAMSE. Some of these include 1) networking with other health professions educators, 2) participating in faculty development opportunities, and 3) supporting personal professional advancement through service and leadership opportunities.
- Networking with other colleagues who are dedicated educators
- Sharing best teaching practices with other clinicians and other professionals
- Collaborating with basic scientists to integrate basic science into clinical education
- Gaining insights into the student perspective
- Assessing trends in curricular development, revision, outcomes and assessment with administrators
- Faculty development
- Web seminars
- Attendance at annual conferences (workshops, Essential Skills in Medical Education, IAMSE Fellowship)
- Innovative teaching strategies including promotion of self directed student learning
- Assessment of core competencies
- Interprofessional setting
- Promotion: professional advancement
- Inclusion of membership on your CV
- Expanding and documenting your credentials as a medical educator for your portfolio
- Opportunities to engage in the scholarship of education
- Opportunities to participate on committees, board of directors and as the officers of the association
IAMSE: Interdisciplinary, Interprofessional, and International
As an administrator, you will be able to develop your own knowledge and abilities, identify development opportunities for your faculty and collaborate with colleagues in an international forum. Opportunities include:
- International professional collaboration and career enhancement.
- Leadership opportunities and international recognition.
- An organization to network, brainstorm, and meet collaborators for educational scholarship, and compliance with accreditation standards.
- Sharing experiences with colleagues who have similar positions at their institutions.
- Faculty development: my faculty get to interact and network with peers who experts in the fields of curriculum design, assessment, evaluation, student academic development.
- Web Seminars: an institutional membership allows my faculty access to 15 web seminars per year on various aspects of health sciences education.
- An affordable way to connect with an international group of colleagues interested in educational scholarship.
- Health science educators from many different disciplines and professions share best practices in teaching and learning
IAMSE offers many ways for you as a health professions student to grow as a nascent educator and professional colleague. Participation in IAMSE meetings and web seminars will help you in the following ways, among others.
- Make friends with students and teachers from all over the world, coming from different disciplines, professions, and educational systems. These interactions will give you an advantage in beginning a career as a health science educator.
- Learn educational concepts…learn the why behind how you are educated. Learn how different educational strategies can be used to teach comparable basic science content.
- Network with your future employers and colleagues in a welcoming organization where all ideas are valued. IAMSE is an interprofessional collective of clinicians, scientists, educators, deans, and technology-driven experts eager to collaborate and cross pollinate.
- Get advance word on new educational strategies and concepts from cutting edge innovators.
- Present your work, share your ideas and get feedback from an experienced international audience who teaches for a living and values student input. In doing so, improve your verbal and written presentation skills. Do all the above at the annual meeting in an enjoyable, relaxed environment chosen for its desirable locale.