Medical educators are often called upon to help identify, support, and remediate struggling students. The root causes of student performance deficits are multifaceted and may be due to academic and non-academic factors. Deficiencies are rarely correctable through a simple solution. The Fall 2022 IAMSE Webinar Series will address strategies for identifying and supporting at-risk students and recognizing and breaking down barriers that may limit student success. The series will begin with an overview of methods to identify, intervene with, and remediate struggling students. Follow-up speakers will delve into specific mechanisms that have been employed to support students, including decelerated curriculums and Learning Communities. Additionally, speakers will provide information on the impact of mental health issues on medical school performance and the unique barriers and challenges faced by members of underrepresented communities. Webinars will provide specific strategies for mitigating the effects these factors may play in student success.
Beginning Thursday, September 1 at 12 pm Eastern, join IAMSE for:
The Struggle is Real: Breaking Barriers
That Limit Student Success
By the end of this series, participants will be better prepared to recognize causes of academic difficulties, know better when to recommend students for more intensive interventions and implement strategies for identifying and breaking down barriers that limit student success.
Sessions in the Fall 2022 series include:
- September 1 at 12 pm EDT – Calvin Chou presents “This Learner Is Terrible”: Remediation In Medical Education
- September 8 at 12 pm EDT – Robert Walker presents The Off-Cycle Curriculum: Intention vs. Impact
- September 15 at 12 pm EDT – Michael Redinger presents Mental Health and the Struggling Learner
- September 22 at 12 pm EDT – Caroline Harada and Lauren Parker present Learning Communities: Creating Structures for Peer Support
- September 29 at 12 pm EDT – Janet Coffman presents Breaking Barriers for Racial/Ethnic Groups Underrepresented in the Health Professions
As always, IAMSE Student Members can register for the series for FREE! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.