In case you missed last week’s Webcast Audio Seminar (WAS) Session, here are the highlights of this session:
Strategies for Promoting Personal Health and Wellness and Leading Change at the Individual Level
Catherine Florio Pipas MD, MPH
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- A commitment to personal health and wellness positively impacts the individual, as well as patients, colleagues, learners and the entire community of practice. How can we empower individuals to help themselves?
- Applying a systems-based improvement model (e.g. SWOT, PDSA) to the individual serves as a framework for the development and maintenance of personal health and well-being.
- Improving the work life of health care clinicians and staff is an additional, essential component of the Triple Aim, which is known as the Quadruple Aim (Bodenheimer & Sinsky, 2014).
- Strategies for the development and maintenance of personal health and wellness include the following:
- Self-Awareness (Know self. How do I assess my level of burnout?)
- Self-Care (Be authentic to self. What gives me meaning?)
- Self-Improvement (Improve self. What is my personal health improvement plan [PHIP]?)
- Reframing “resilience” as Post Traumatic Growth vs. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder allows for flexibility and improvement when faced with adversity.
- Factors that contribute to resilience include: optimism, facing fear, moral compass, religion and spirituality, social support, role models, physical exercise, mental exercise, flexibility and acceptance (cognitive reframing) and meaning/purpose. These serve as cushions for our lived realities.
- Use SMART goals, Self-SWOT and Geisel PHIP template as resources to develop a PHIP. Worksheet can be found here.
- Top ten PHIP themes include:
- Physical Exercise
- Healthy Eating
- Sleep Hygiene
- Un Plug from Technology
- Time Management
- Social Supports
- Positivity/Appreciative Inquiry
- Self-care is a sign of personal strength, commitment and success that leaders need to prioritize, role-model and support.
- The sustainability of our healthcare system is determined by the health and well-being of each one of us.